I am a Business Intellegence consultant at a Belgian firm called IKAN Consultant (http://www.ikanconsulting.com) and am mainly active in data analysis, learning predictive and segmentation models on telecom data and analyzing social network resulting from mobile usage networks.
I use Ruby, in combination with C for certain memory intensive routines, to do various types of statistical analysis and datamining and am very pleased with the flexibility, power and beauty of this language. I use it in every aspect of my work:
- Preparing and cleaning data
- Communicating with data bases (Oracle, MySQL and sqlite3)
- Basic statistical analysis
- Advanced datamining, from neural networks to segmentations
- Social network analysis
- Vizualization by creating SVG-based graphs (in combination with Inkscape and firefox)
I used to program everything in C++, but learned to know Ruby a few years ago via the FOSDEM events in Brussels. Switching from C++ to Ruby and relying on C for the CPU and memory intensive parts resulted in a huge efficiency increase, and much more programming joy.
In my free time, I'm working on various projects, from building robots to writing an editor.