I'm working on modernizing Rosetta Code's infrastructure. Starting with communications. Please accept this time-limited open invite to RC's Slack.. --Michael Mol (talk) 20:59, 30 May 2020 (UTC)

Rosetta Code:Village Pump/Unlisted tasks

From Rosetta Code
Unlisted tasks
This is a particular discussion thread among many which consider Rosetta Code.

Summary

Several tasks are not showing up in the site listings

Discussion

Sometime during the week July 19 2020 through July 26 2020 something has changed on the site to cause many tasks, some quite old, to no longer show up in the task listings.

It came to my attention when generating my weekly report for the Rosetta_Code/Count_examples task full list: Rosetta_Code/Count_examples/Full_list The list shrank by quite a bit. I initially attributed it to a bug in my program (and actually found and fixed one) but re-running it didn't help. On closer investigation, I found that several tasks are no longer being indexed on the Category:Programming_Tasks page. The pages still exist and seem to have correct markup, they just aren't being indexed.

A partial(?) list of pages that exist, but don't show up in the Category:Programming_Tasks list:

(At least, as many as I could find)

Checking the individual pages, can't see any issue that would prevent them from being indexed. There doesn't seem to be any common thread that would tie them all together, some are quite old, others are fairly recent, some haven't been edited in several weeks, nothing looks particularly suspect. At this point, I don't know what else to check.

The "missing" pages are (among other things,) throwing off the counts for my report pages and making for some odd results.

Any ideas? --Thundergnat (talk) 23:49, 26 July 2020 (UTC)

Any possible connection to the   "modernizing of Rosetta Code's infrastructure"?     -- Gerard Schildberger (talk) 01:00, 27 July 2020 (UTC)
I think it's more likely to be something you drew attention to yesterday, Gerard, namely the attempt by a user to change the Task template (probably thinking this was the way to add a new task) before realizing the error of his ways and putting it back the way it was. Although I can't detect any lasting damage, it might be worth undoing the changes back to the last 'bona fide' edit by Dkf in 2010 to see whether it makes any difference.-- PureFox (talk) 08:59, 27 July 2020 (UTC)
Ok. I don't know what happened, (I suspect PureFox is correct about the root cause) but it appears that any edit to the page will get it to be re-indexed, (no matter how trivial) I'm going to make a series of trivial edits to get the pages re-indexed. --Thundergnat (talk) 23:02, 30 July 2020 (UTC)
Hah! That seemed to work. Was able to force the pages to be reindexed. Looks Like they are all showing up in the Tasks list again. --Thundergnat (talk) 23:38, 30 July 2020 (UTC)
Glad to hear you've managed to fix it :) Whatever the cause, it was certainly a strange one as the indexing for the individual languages didn't seem to be affected. --PureFox (talk) 10:16, 31 July 2020 (UTC)
I noticed it affected the Tasks not implemented in _____ pages, but not the main language pages where completed tasks are listed. Strange. --Chunes (talk) 10:24, 31 July 2020 (UTC)